Wednesday 11 December 2013

Big update, its been a while!

Hello! I've not updated in a while I've been super busy. I've been out birding but just haven't got round to updating the blog. I'll summarise my recent 'adventures' in picture form as it's easier that way. But I will do a full update from today.

Today wasn't so much about seeing masses of birds it was more quality over quantity, it was literally just two birds. Two awesome birds don't get me wrong, the first being a bird I've seen twice briefly once very distantly and the second fairly close but it was on the sea and I was looking down on it. The bird I'm taking about? Grey Phalarope! A bird I've always wanted to see close and today was going to be the day, or so I first thought. A text from Kevin in the morning asking if I wanted to come was very relieving as going by public transport was literally near impossible! Anyway we arrived in the car park and Kevin spotted the bird almost immediately feeding in a flooded field opposite the car park. Great! I've seen it, the problem now was how do I get pictures of it? I mean I could get distant shots but I was here to get up in it's face, photo's so far online had been brilliant and I wanted the same! I assessed that the area where the bird was feeding was very flooded and indeed I was right, first step in water half way up my leg, salty and freezing! But alas after a few minutes the numbness had taken over mostly and I was getting on with it! Long story short after about 10mins of waiting in the water the bird eventually passed by my make shift reed viewing area and I managed a few shots, which I'm happy with anyway!

Once both I and Kevin where happy with our sighting we heard news that another bird was still on view just up the road. That was a Long Tailed Duck, something I've seen before but only distantly sitting on the sea. The light was getting low at this point and so it was quite shady when we arrived to a very empty Benacre broad. The water level was extremely low, assuming from the gap in the beach from the storm surge no doubt! The LTD was present but distant, we decided to sneak along the beach and try and get level with it to try and get some pictures... It had other ideas. As soon as we got to within 40ft of it, it took flight. Flying parallel with us and then eventually about 10ft in front of us and straight out to sea. I managed to get a few flight shots which I'm happy with and I don't think I'll be getting that close to one anytime soon again!

The walk back produced 3 drake pintail flying along the sea and 1 red throated diver, a very good day and very much enjoyed.

Stunning bird!

Not the best picture, but I'm happy




The pictures below are from recent birding days out.



I visited the flooding, truly devastating

Just a common, but I have seen he Parrots twice! 

Whooper Swan! A very tarty life tick on my part!

Purple Piper, my favourite of the sandpipers!

Cranes at Horsey
Good movement of Eider duck recently

Grey Seal Pup

The sunsets have been brilliant recently! 

2 comments:

  1. Fab Phalarope pic, and not bad on the LTD. But the Shorelark's my fave...Gt Yarmouth ?

    ReplyDelete