Tuesday 24 September 2013

Recent adventures and a county rarity!


First post of what I hope to be an active blog. Last Wednesay (18th) I visited Suffolk to twitch the Lesser Grey Shrike, which showed well almost all the time we where there despite being fairly distant. After enjoying good views of the bird we moved on to Sizewell beach and had incredible views of a Pale phase Arctic Skua sitting on the beach. It showed down too about 20ft allowing brilliant views of it on the deck and flying around harassing everything. Also in the area where at least 6 little gull and 1 possible roseate tern.
We finished the day at Thorpeness and got brilliant views of a juv red backed shrike.

Fast forward to today and the biggest bird I've found so far in Norfolk! A RAVEN which apparently is a mega bird for the county! It flew over me whilst I was on my to a lecture in UEA, not quite what I had in mind in terms of finding something big. But beggars can't be choosers.


Arctic Skua


Lesser Grey Shrike

Red Backed Shrike


2 comments:

  1. Good to see you have your priorities right, but don't forget to actually do some work as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great start you will have to up date so mutch Norfolk full of birds mate

    ReplyDelete