Monday 28 October 2013

I shore do love these birds, Winterton again! (25/10/2013)

Paid an afternoon's visit to Winterton avoiding the rain showers which at times where heavy but always brief. Met a few locals, establishing myself!

It was a very good start as I passed the 'hermanus' restaurant and heard a yellow browed warbler calling but I was unable to locate see it. I then moved on to the sea and fortunately a nice person was there scope set up on one of my target birds of the day, velvet scoter. Five of them keeping themselves separate from the larger raft of 40 common scoter. They where fairly distant but showed well in the scope. I was also planning on seeing the shorelarks again which where still around but apparently they had been flushed further down the beaches and I couldn't quite be bothered to chase after them.

I then headed for the north dunes because apparently up to 28 snow bunting where present! I've never seen more than 2 at a time so the idea of 28 was not to be frowned upon! As I walked through the sandy dunes I kicked up three bunting which at first remained silent, but as they circled away from me it soon became clear that they where LAPLAND BUNTING! In almost the exact same area as the one's me and Craig saw 2 weeks earlier. I didn't have my camera ready *sigh* next time I'll get a picture, promise! Any I carried on walking and approached a large flat sandy / pebbly area, sure enough there where the Snow Buntings in all their massing glory, a dog walker flushed the majority of the flock and they flew further up calling all the time. Something else I had never heard before, but now would be able to recognise immediately! There was a lot present so I assume it was the 28 but looked like more!

As I was walking back I hid under one of the bushes avoiding one of the brief rain showers 2 lesser redpoll flew over as did 2 single pink feets. I thought I'd give it one last go at the shorelarks just to see if they had come closer and bloomin eck' had they just! Almost by the car park, I tucked in behind the dunes waiting for them to pop along and soon enough they came passed affording fanastic views, and a perfect end to the day.

Showing the 'horns' as it rustled it's feathers

No comments:

Post a Comment