Tuesday 15 October 2013

Monday (15/10/2013) Pre-Uni Amazing morning!

Started before dawn at Great Yarmouth Cemetery to make the most of my day, though it was disappointingly quieter than I was expecting.

Totals from the Cemetery: 

200 Redwing
40 Brambling
22 Fieldfare (My first of the year)
20 Chiffchaff (Mini fall it would appear, including 1 bird singing!!!)
4 Crossbill sp (4 where seen over Corton and the finder thought they where Parrot and it looks like the same birds I saw)
3 Lesser Redpoll
3 Firecrest 

On the beach:

20 Mipit
5 Med gull
2 Sanderling
1 Insanely showy heron

Mid morning a message came out of a Red Flanked Bluetail being seen not to far away from where I was, I quickly put out a message asking for a lift and Craig Shaw kindly offered to pick me and take me up. Long story short I saw the bird and what an absolute beauty one of my most wanted too! Also a Pied flycatcher associating with the Bluetail!

Thanks also to Kayne who dropped me back to UEA!

Heron 

Very gloomy firecrest showing well, shame about the light

Back end of the pied flycatcher!

Glorious bird, needs no introduction!! 










3 comments:

  1. Well that sounds like a great day out, not exactly what I would call quiet, but each to his own :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see a UEA birding student blogging: I did the AEC MSc there so stomped around campus a lot. Best bird probable serin for a week or so commuting between the Sainsbury Centre lawn and the weedy 'mountain' by the campus entrance closest to Eaton Park. The scrub on that hill is great for concentrating chiffs and blackcaps in the evening sun too - must be a ybw or two at the mo?! And try Lowestoft - great birding vibe, easy by train, loads of scope for finding rates (I found two Hume's warbs within four days, one in a couple of sycamores hidden behind Crop Shop on the high street!) Stacks of scope for finding your own birds at The Toft! Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only just seen your comment! I'm doing alright so far Raven and a couple of yellow brow and some lappers but always keen to increase the self finds! Haven't explored campus too much, not even been to this 'weedy mountain'!! But will be sure to check it out soon. Very much looking forward to the next 3 years education wise and ofc birding wise :)

    ReplyDelete