Saturday 28 September 2013

Early Christmas present!

After eagerly hyping myself today for a day packed full of migrants I was somewhat underwhelmed at the start. After waking up at 5.20am I got the train over to Yarmouth to start my day, on the journey over there I saw a single sparrow-hawk, 5 pink footed geese and a marsh harrier. Passing Breydon water I managed to spot curlew and bar-tailed godwit. On arrival to Great Yarmouth I headed to a still  and very dark cemetery. After some sun had got through I was expecting the birds to pick up but very little was seen in the morning. I started walking around with a local birder and I managed to locate a very brief firecrest feeding in the tops of a pine tree. A song thrush also made a brief appearance but otherwise things remained very quiet. A moment of panic where one birder had a yellow browed warbler moving with 2 firecrests, and after finding the 2 firecrests I was disappointed not to locate the ybw too. For my troubles I did however see my first redwing of the autumn and a black cap. About midday news had come through that a Red-Footed falcon had been seen at Winterton and after speaking to a very kind Craig Shaw he offered me a lift to try and see the bird. On arrival to Winterton there was not a single birder in a sight. This soon became understandable because the bird in question was probably a hobby. However all was not lost as when we where walking back a bunting taking shelter in one of the sand dunes turned out to be a LAPLAND BUNTING a lifer for me and one I'm very glad to finally see. It took flight and dropped down never to be seen again but as we walked down towards it another bird took flight also vanishing from view. Whilst searching for the birds I picked up on a distant raptor which turned out to be a Short-Eared Owl coming in off the sea. Very enjoyable to see! Finally we finished the day looking for the rose coloured starling in Caister which hadn't been reported for a few days. Suprisingly it was still there showing well but briefly on top of a chimney pot!

Unfortunately
SEO (I promise) 

Rosey starling 

UEA 50th Celebration 

I didn't manage a picture of the Lapland buntings as I was too excited at the time!

P.S. The volcano was from Uni it was to celebrate 50 years of the University. What a volcano has to do with it I'm not entirely sure.

1 comment:

  1. Those juv Rosies are just something else (not). Had one (per Ian W) at Sheepcote couple of yrs back. Seriously underwhelming. Nice on the Lapland front, love the Crimbo ref.

    ReplyDelete